Little by little the camel goes into the couscous...

09 May 2011

Osama bin Laden, September 11, Cafe Argana and my Students

A week ago I was traveling through Morocco with my brothers. This was my brothers' first visit to an Arab, Muslim country. I was anxious to introduce them to Moroccans so they could replace their American media derived notions of Arabs and Muslims with real interactions and experiences. We had mint tea with a leather craftsmen. We listened to gnawa music. My brothers saw me teach and met my students. But when Cafe Argana was bombed in Marrakech, those memories disappeared to be replaced with turbans, beards and 'Death to America'.

We were in El Jedida when the bombing occurred. I worked hard to reassure my brothers that they had nothing to worry about. "This is a very un-Moroccan thing", I told them, "Moroccans are warm, open people. They are peaceful and not violent."

We traveled to Marrakech a few days after the attack. The seemingly untouched wreckage of Cafe Argana imbued the Jama'a l-Ifna, Marrakech's main square, with tension. Combined with cool temperatures and rain, the whole city seemed caught in a mournful stupor. It was an awkward place to be. With the news of Osama bin Laden's death, and the potential for retribution, we decided to leave Marrakech a day early.

In light of these events, I decided that I would address terrorism in my next U.S. Culture class. I knew that at some point I would have to address September 11, the defining event in America's contemporary history. The Marrakech bombing and Bin Laden's death made such a discussion all the more pertinent. I wanted to deal with terrorism from a 'human' perspective, helping my students to understand the universal nature of the fear and insecurity that such wanton acts of violence create. I was also curious to how my students would feel about these three events. To my brothers I had defended Moroccans as peaceful, so wouldn't they share my sadness about Cafe Argana and Americans' despair over September 11? Wouldn't they understand why we killed Bin Laden?

My class met this morning. Below are the questions I asked and some of the responses they garnered:

What did you feel when you heard about the Marrakech bombing?
  • I was shocked and I was sad for all of the people who died.
  • I was disappointed because of what it means for Morocco. All of the unrest in the Middle East has brought terrorists to Morocco and they are trying to unsettle the country. The bombing in Marrakech is disappointing because it destroys our hope of a peaceful transition to democracy.
What did you feel when you heard about Osama bin Laden's death?
  • I do not believe he is dead. Where is his body? I must see his body.
  • I felt sad to lose him. Osama bin Laden was a great Muslim leader and did great things for Islam.
  • I was shocked and I don't believe he died.
  • Americans said they killed the snake, but remember that snakes lay eggs.
  • I was happy he died because he was a bad man who killed many people and distorted the image of Islam in the world.
What did you feel when you heard about the September 11 attacks?
  • I was happy because it was a great blow to America, the supporter of Israel who occupies Palestine and kills innocent Palestinian men, women and children.
  • I was happy, I thought it was a gift to Islam.
  • I was sad because the people who worked there were innocent and not bad people. 
Some of you probably guessed where this post was heading.

I have lived in Morocco for a total of nine months. I've never  been seriously concerned for my well being or safety. My experiences with Moroccans have, for the great part, been positive. Before today I had never heard a Moroccan voice such 'extreme' views. But this was a bit of a reality check. The moment one of my students said, "I was sad when Osama bin Laden died, he was a great Muslim leader", my head fell out of the clouds.

I love Morocco, and to a certain extent I idealize it. I won't say that what I heard today surprised me, but I had never interacted with Moroccans in such a before. These opinions are not entirely outrageous. There is no denying that America has done a lot of harm to the Middle East and the Muslim world. But I was not expecting this type of frustration and anger to show in place of the kindness and compassion that I've come to expect from Moroccans.

Similarly, I was caught off guard. Until today I didn't realize all that I represent in my position. I've been conscious of my unique role as an American teacher at the university since arriving. I knew that as the only American teacher at my university, my presence stood for certain things. As a native speaker I embody the language my students desire to learn. As a young teacher I demonstrate the possibility to be successful through hard work and dedication. As an American I represent a society and culture they aspire to create for themselves. But I also represent a government that many of them would label as 'terrorist'. Because of this, do I cease to represent these other things?

Does thinking September 11 was a 'gift' invalidate a person's kindness and generosity towards me?

I don't think so. But I do think it is sad that such bright young people can hold such callous beliefs. 

7 comments:

  1. Matt, this is a fantastic post. It says all the things I've been trying to articulate in the past couple weeks, but have been unable to due to that infuriating combination of love and anger - I think it's called frustration.

    And you, sir, are an extremely talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Matt

    i am sad to hear about your brothers impressions about Morocco as i am sad for the Marrakesh Bomb's victims.

    what your students said about the Bomb and Ben Laden 's death is not what all Moroccans think as it is not a Moroccan mentality, your students may have a limited thinking as they are young shoots and still on the way to well understanding.

    i personally don't believe in Ben Laden's existence as everything was from Bush mentality which was based on OIL, but hearing that Ben Bush Laden was killed was a good news and people with whom i discussed in the street are happy about his death and are ashamed of him using Islam as his Logo.

    anyway; America messed up a lot in the middle east and Islamic world and the image will change but it will take some time.

    i myself like Americans and had amazing memories and spent great times with:).

    most of Americans and westerners in general have WRONG image about this part of the world and vice versa is true as well...experience it yourself and then you get to appreciate it and get a path to understand it.

    greetings from the land of peace
    Rachid
    peace & hugs

    PS: when we will meet we will talk about that in person:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting article indeed.

    If I were to answer your questions:
    I felt terribly bad when I learned about the bombings in Marrakesh, and I had a friend there that I was so worried about, but hamdulah she is fine.
    I didn't trust the U.S. government when they declared the death of Benladen, to say that "his body is buried in the sea in accordance with Islamic law" is bullshit.
    Concerning the 9/11 events, I remember watching the news, and starring at the television with astonishment, I certainly felt bad about innocent people's death.

    Back to your article, I enjoyed reading it.

    Youness from Fes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, the warmth and kindness that I experienced for the month I was in Morocco was exactly what you have experienced. I feel that, like much of the US, Moroccans have many different beliefes, and if some Moroccans believe that the US got what was coming on 9/11 and that Osama is a great man, I am sure there are just as many that think otherwise. Atleast I hope this to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. salamo alicom
    as i began sir salamo alicom and you konw that those two words means "peaaaaace". as moroccans we respect other even if they are muslim or not we love people we are kind and generous.i don't think that we were happy when we heard about 11 september but i think also that it's very difficult to be sad because sir as you know what happen in palastine ;thousand and thousand of people die every day and america support israel. there are our sisters and brothers ,young people and child die every day why?
    for ben ladden may be it's true that he died but what we don't believe is the sorty that usa told us it's abvious that it was a lie why they didn't show us his body it's not difficult i think,?and if we believe that he died .so yes, we were very sad to hear that .simply because it's injustice to kill a person who killed about 3500 persons and george bush still in life and he kileed in iraq hhhhh it's difficult to know how many people are killed without a reason and may be 3500 are killed just in one day and what america said at the end we are sorry we didn't find anything.SO YOU KNOW WHY it's difficult to be sad ?
    yes sir we believe that terrorist hasn't a religion and islam is the religion of peace and love for others and respect for others even if theyy arent' muslim and what ben ladden did was for us a response for an authoritave gov that serves just it interests.
    we are ready to change our ideas but if we find responses for those questions

    why israel killed palastines and usa the gov of democracie support it?
    why they didn't kill george bush as they killed ben ladden ,because if ben ladden is a terrorist it's abviuos that bush is more than him?
    why américa intefers in our matters?
    why and why and why many questions without responses.actually even if usa is a very develloped country but for us it have a bad reputation. sometimes i said if one day we will be very develpoted as america and we will deal like it did. i don't want this developement and it's better for me to still like this.sorry to say it but really america doesn't mean anything for us and we have no respect for it.
    but what we know that we respect you sir and you are a dear guest and that we can't harm anybody
    and i hope that you and all the foreign people can understand us we aren't agressive
    at the end we hope that terrorist disappeared from our lives

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Matt.
    first of all, let me greet you for your good thoughts you expressed towards Morocco, this shows how kind your feelings are.But, there are some remarks i would like to point out, if you don't mind, of course.


    During your discussion in class you tended to be a little bit like a "dictator" -sorry to use this expression- but if you have another one which can describe your ideas such as "this is my 3 hours, and i believe that Ossama has been killed for real, and you have to admit that...!" and many other ones like this...! So, as you said here u are supposed to be the ambassador of US in Morocco, don't worry you are doing very well, as we know US policy is based on imposing its beliefs on the rest of the world..!


    The second misleading idea you raised here was this one (I have lived in Morocco for a total of nine months. I've never been seriously concerned for my well being or safety. My experiences with Moroccans have, for the great part, been positive. Before today I had never heard a Moroccan voice such 'extreme' views. But this was a bit of a reality check. The moment one of my students said, "I was sad when Osama bin Laden died, he was a great Muslim leader", my head fell out of the clouds.)I think to have a prejudgement about Moroccans like that from little kids, yes i called them kids because they are still teenagers and, of course, they are not, really, qualified to represent Morocco or to defend their Ideas with their weak English level, however you set them as Moroccan Spokesmen which is,in my opinion, something immoral especially fro a University Teacher who is supposed to be aware of the main academic notions that forbid to report something based on unqualified students.


    No one can deny the fact that we, as many countries, hope to establish a democracy like yours, which is not perfect at all, but this doesn't mean that we worship USA or we are dreaming day and night to be there, this is among the stereotypes you got about Moroccans, maybe from that bunch of students who are always flattering you and trying to be kind with you, which i called Moroccan stupidity rather that generosity. We believe in God and he is the only one we trust and we believe that he is Powerful and the most Compassionate than USA. Personally speaking, as Moroccan i trust my country and i will realize my dreams here not in any other country.....!


    Concerning Marrakesh Bombing, as a Moroccan citizen we don't believe in this culture, culture of bombing and killing innocent people. Here i prefer to remind you with the Alexandria church bombing in Egypt before the Mubarak fallen down, at that moment they accused Islamic organizations, but now we discovered that the agent was the Egyptian regime. Now i want you to make your mind work and you will know who did that Strange Murder...!


    At the end, i hope that my opinion won't be personally interpreted, rather, it should be taken as a simple comment on a simple post, or just like a personal view from a REAL MOROCCAN who loves his country and Respects the other ones, as all Moroccans do. Before i finish i would be glad if you accept, Sir, the highest expressions of love and respect from one of your Students....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel sorry to not attend the class and the debate, really i would like to express myself and say what i think about that subject.
    surely as Muslims we feel sorry about what happened in Marrakesh, morocco and Moroccans are peaceful , but about 11 September, comparing with what bush did in Iraq and how many people killed just for stupid oil, and what Sharon did in Lebanon and the disaster of sabra and chatila, and Israel and how they are killing our children and young without mercy, what do u call that Mr Matt ?? that's the real terrorism, and as we know all is fair in war and love , so what Ben laden have done was just response and defense, and Israel and USA who started first, then what they were expecting? benladen , a millionaire man, who has let down all his money and sacrificed all his life just to take revenge for Arabs from the real terrorists which are bush and Sharon
    USA is a fair country?? is a democracy country ??? ok then why they didn't punish bush?? or Sharon?? why they didn't stop them?? why we should be happy about ben laden 's death while bush is still alive and enjoying his life? what happened in Marrakesh, is happening all the time, but every time they stuck it on benladen or muslims, but do they have proves no lol, that's ridiculous.
    so if really ben laden were the responsible of the 11 September attempt, i think it's nothing comparing with what America and Israel do to Arabs,
    moreover, are u sure that Ben laden was the head of 11 September assassination attempt?? what about Jews, we have heard that about 200 Jews workers didn't come that day , what this coincidence?
    and about Ben laden death, yes we don't believe that USA killed him, yes he died since years ago because he was sick, but not because of USA, and if yes , where is the body, just think as a smart person, how they can kill him and throw his body on the sea lol , that's a bulshit, and it's hard to believe, we are people who believe in concrete things not just talks and blabla, or maybe it's a plan from obama to win the presidential election; so he wanted to be the hero who killed Ben laden to win American's heart, who knows.
    as Muslims we feel sorry about innocent people who die, and as Moroccans we are sociable and we treat all humans equal, Americans, Japanese , all foreigns are same and we respect them and we treat them very well in morocco,and we are not racist at all, and i think that you realized that while your stay in morocco, and as an American man and you believe in democracy, you should accept our thoughts without criticizing it, we used to accept what America says even she's wrong lol
    and i feel sorry about your brothers that they didn't enjoy their stay, but believe me even in USA we feel scared to be shout from somewhere on the street and suddenly, so just believe in god and nothing bad 's gonna happen to you
    inshallah:)
    i wish that you can get what i mean from my comment, see you and thanx

    ReplyDelete